Thursday, December 15, 2011

Merry Chris...I mean Happy Holidays

Like I said in my earlier post, I'm part of an ensemble that sings Christmas Carols throughout the winter season. Different octets of the 22 person strong ensemble are hired to sing around the local Hackney's for two hours almost every day for the two weeks leading up to Christmas. When we're hired, we sing for an hour, take a 10 minute break, then sing for another 50 minutes. Afterwards we get free food for singing, and we get TIPS! But we're told that they would rather us say "Happy Holidays" after singing instead of "Merry Christmas" because then it appeals to more people and not just Christians.
So alright, that makes sense. I mean we don't live in an 100% Christian community and I'm all for being politically correct, but then I thought about all the songs we sing. We only know and sing one Hanukkah song and the other thirty something songs are all Christmas related songs. How come we are advised not to say Merry Christmas when we can sing it to them in 3 various and different ways before walking away? Why is singing "Merry Christmas" advised and encouraged and paid for, but I can't say it someone in passing?
So should I be upset or annoyed about this? Probably not, just because I'm still getting paid to do something I love. But it definitely is something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment