Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blowing My Cover - Book Review

I'm pretty sure most people, when they were younger, had a "dream job". I went through the vet stage, the next Mia Hamm stage and, of course, the CIA spy stage. I didn't want to be a spy in the CIA, but any part of the most secretive department of American government seemed good. But I recently dropped that idea when I realized I wouldn't want to keep secrets from my family.

I just finished a book called "Blowing My Cover". It is a memoir about a former CIA spy who recounts the interview process, the training and more. To her, being a CIA spy was a "dream job" that she persued and was utterly let down. And although she wasn't a child, the glamour of the "dream job" ideals were still there.

When I realized I was never going to be as good as Mia Hamm, I felt let down. I had planned a whole life around my future soccer practices and location of my team. But it was only that way because I was old enough to really see my dreams slip away. In "Blowing My Cover", she was witnessing her dream being wisked away, seeing that it really wasn't as great as she hope it would be. At what point do we cross the line from just picking a new dream without being let down, like when we were young, and when we realize a dream falling to pieces.

Children have more time, they don't know all the things they are and aren't capable of. And to be honest, at 5, there still is a better chance they could be the next president than at 15 when they've seen their grades and college options and such.

But on a more positive note, "dream jobs" don't really have to be as much of a let down as some people see it, because if it wasn't as good as you hoped it would be, then obviously it isn't the "dream job" you imagined.

Sweet Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment