Monday, May 28, 2012

Barefoot Blue Jean Night

Luckily my umbrella has been about loss of innocence, and with my high school graduation less than a week from now, that seemed like the best thing to talk about as my final blog post. 

A senior I know explained the end of this year best.  "We're excited for the end of the year because we want summer, but it hasn't set in that we never come back."  Never.  We can always visit and we can always get back together, but once we leave; life changes.  

This will be the last summer I can aimlessly drive to the beach with my friends.  This is the last summer I can ask my parents for ice-cream money.  And this is the last summer I can pretend that my future is far away.  

I can remember being 10 yrs old, running to Taylor's house, ringing the doorbell and playing outside in the sprinkler for an hour until her mom would have us over for lunch.  My only worry was that I swallowed the ice-cube whole and I thought I was going to choke because I didn't realize ice would melt in my throat.  Now, I'm worrying about if I will ever learn how to make a hot meal because my school doesn't have a cafeteria/meal plan.  My future is starting in 58 days as I board my plane to Israel and start the rest of my life with out my familiar hometown feeling.  That, right there, is the definition of loss of innocence.

So, this is my last blog post for my loss of innocence blog because, I too, will soon be losing mine.  I will be in a new chapter of my life with new people, but this summer, until then, I'll be singing:

                                                             Whoa-oh
                                                     Never gonna grow up
Whoa-oh
Never gonna slow down
Whoa-oh
We were shinin' like lighters in the dark
In the middle of a rock show
 Whoa-oh
We were doin' it right
Whoa-oh
We were comin' alive
Whoa-oh
Yeah, caught up in a Southern summer, a barefoot, blue jean night

No comments:

Post a Comment